On Wednesday, South Korea has recorded an all-time high record on its coronavirus cases and serious cases, pushing the government to think of implementing an emergency pandemic response scheme shortly after the social distancing protocols were eased under the “living with COVID-19” plan.
Health authorities are encouraged by Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum to increase containment measures, noting that South Korea is fighting its first battle in its measure to normal life. He added that the capital area, where South Korea’s 52 million people live, is in a crucial phase, Yonhap News Agency reported.
The Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA) said the country has logged 4, 116 new virus cases, which pushed the total to 425, 065. Of the number, 4, 088 are local infections.
The figure became the highest recorded case since South Korea logged its first virus case last year in January. The record-breaking number also surpassed last Thursday’s 3, 292 cases.
Moreover, South Korea also recorded the highest number of seriously sick patients at 586.
Thirty-five more deaths were reported in the country, the highest figure since the fourth wave of the pandemic started in the country in July. The new deaths pushed the total deaths to 3, 363, while the fatality rate hit 0.79 percent.
Daily virus cases in the country have spiked following the relaxing of health protocols implemented by the government last Nov. 1 for its move to regain normalcy through the “living with COVID-19” scheme.
In mid-December, the country planned to transition in the second phase. Health authorities, however, cautioned that it cannot happen if the present record of cases persists.
It has been a challenge for the government to assure sufficient hospital beds, particularly in the capital area, as virus cases and critical cases soar.
“We should beef up support measures so that asymptomatic patients and those with mild symptoms can have treatments at home safely,” Kim said.